Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Political Cartoons



The political cartoon, a tool of democracy, has been a cornerstone of American since the inception of this nation. The political cartoon, however, did not experience its coming of age until the presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The ink flowed freely during the four consecutive terms of FDR and with this deluge of ink came a portrait of an American President. The nation itself would grow closer to their President unlike any previous generation.
Now a days editorial cartoons play also very vital role. A good collection of modern editorial cartoons can be found in each issue of magazines like the Humor Times and Funny Times. Recently, many radical or minority issue editorial cartoonists, who would previously have been obscure, have found large audiences on the internet. Cartoons can be very diverse, but there is a certain established style among most of them. Most use visual metaphors and caricatures to explain complicated political situations, and thus sum up a current event with a humorous or emotional picture. Often, their content includes stereotypical, biased and/or demonizing portrayals of people and events. In modern political cartooning two styles have begun to emerge. The traditional style, involving visual metaphors, symbols like Uncle Sam, the Democratic donkey and Republican elephant, and labels is described as the 'nast-y' style (named after Thomas Nast), and the more text heavy 'altie' style that tells a linear story, usually in comic strip format. Although their style, technique or viewpoints may differ, editorial cartoonists draw attention to important social and political issues.













--Make political cartoons on computer:-

Even if you're not a great artist, you can still make compelling political cartoons with the help of a computer. Take it from me; I'm not a great artist, not by any means, but I think I've still been able to entertain people (and amuse myself) with my Pollyticks political cartoons. A great deal of credit goes to the developers of a few pieces of software that I use on a regular basis. The programs I'm referring to are Adobe's Photoshop Elements, an image editing application; Macromedia (now also Adobe) Flash, which I use to create text effects and to enhance some of my hand drawn (albeit horrible) artwork; and Plasq's ComicLife,a cartoon and comic layout program that simplifies the process of adding comic speech bubbles to your cartoons.
I prefer to use an Apple Macintosh (Mac) computer most of the time, but all of the programs I've mentioned, with the exception of Plasq's ComicLife, are also available for PCs running versions of Microsoft's Windows. In this article, I'll describe how I use all three applications to produce illustrations, comics and political cartoons and show how everything I do can also be done on a Windows PC without the use of ComicLife at all. Over many years working with computers I've used quite a few programs in the image and illustration editing arena and will point out how alternatives to my favorite applications can also be used to accomplish a lot of the same tasks. For the record, I don't claim to be an expert with any of these programs or techniques, nor do I claim that my way is necessarily the best way to accomplish the things I'll cover. My goal is only to describe how I do what I do, so that you can do it as well as I do, if not better.
For further detail i refer you to visit. http://www.pollyticks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment